Thursday 6 June 2013

Handmade Weddings Part 1: The Cake




Those of you who have read my blog before will know I love to make things. So much so, that for my own wedding I made as many things as I possibly could. From customizing my dress, the stationary, the jewellery and the favors (just a few of the elements) it was really important to me that as much as possible had a hand made touch.

I was however fascinated by the idea of making my own cake, but at the time lacked the confidence to undertake this daunting task. In the end I opted for a fantastic Chockywockydoodah creation, which turned out to be one of my favorite purchases, but I continued to be curious surrounding how ‘normal’ people go about making a wedding cake. Even simple things, like getting the icing smooth and shiny were a complete mystery to me!

Then, along came Stefi Jakab and her fabulous cake decorating class. I’ve already written about this fantastic experience in my blog ‘Have your cake and eat it’, as this class gave me the confidence to undertake something I would never have thought myself capable of…after her lesson it occurred to me that it wasn’t as hard as I’d feared.

Like some kind of divine serendipity, the very next week I received a phone call from my best friend who was getting married. I asked her about her cake and she told me that she had decided not to bother, given the expense associated. This was it…the opportunity to make a wedding cake!




So I offered my services and set about doing the best job I possibly could. The first step was making the cake itself. She wanted a fruitcake so I took advice from all around for the very best possible recipe, and 5 weeks ago I made it. This allows time to feed the cake, making it really moist and indulgent when finally eaten. It also helps to preserve it, and a good cake can keep for up to a year….



I diligently ladled brandy over the cake once a week for the weeks that followed, taking care to heat the brandy gently before, which aids absorption. You should also NEVER skewer holes into it as this just helps the cake to dry out from the center.

During this time I also researched patterns and assembled all the tools I needed. Baking (I’ve discovered) is like most things. It’s all about having he right tools and through the joys of eBay I developed a sugar craft kit that Delia herself would be proud of.

With vintage inspired as a vague brief, I set about developing my design and I decided early on that I wanted my three-tier creation to have different layers. The bottom had to resemble some hind of base, and after trawling the Internet for inspiration; I came across a wonderful tutorial to create ruffles.


Texture was also important to me, which led to my decision for the second tier. Quilting is an easy visual effect to create with the aid of a steady hand and a perforator, and provided the perfect compliment to the ruffles on the base.

Finally, I needed a pièce de résistance for the top tier. Wild flowers were a key part of the wedding, which lead me to use little fondant daisies as accents on the bottom two tiers. I wanted to continue the theme with the top, so I opted to cover the whole tier in a mass of pearlised, glitter daisies.

Following a very nervous, 5 ½ hour journey back home to Wales I was able to see my creation assembled. Separated by two polystyrene ‘cakes’ embellished with baby’s breath and various wild flowers, the tiers looked fabulous all displayed together.




I, and the bride were very happy with the result and I can’t thank Stefi enough for her support and encouragement. I now can’t wait for my next sugar craft challenge and look forward to developing my skills and sharing my creations with you all…


I leave you with this…if you want to learn how to do something, just get stuck in and give it a go!  

No comments:

Post a Comment