Sunday 14 April 2013

Make-do and mend yourself marvelous!



Above than anything else, I am a creature of habit. With my morning run out of the way on this gloriously sunny Sunday I set about my ‘jobs’. Being a cost-per-wear devotee, when an article of my beloved wardrobe becomes damaged, I always try to repair it.

Sew with style: Liberty's sewing kit
current dress-making project

The sad truth is that many of us have lost both the skills and inclination that our grandmothers had, with regard to looking after our clothes. Something breaks - buy another! 
This is a real shame, as it’s so easy to undertake a lot of the mending that causes many of us to throw perfectly good clothing away. Frayed hems, snapped spaghetti straps and torn seams (too much cake) - just search your repair job in google any number of You Tube videos will appear offering their advice! Ok, so it takes time and a little effort, but just think how long you’d be prepared to spend shopping to find the perfect item....HOURS! Spend a little time learning these key skills and you’ll only have to find them once. You’ll also have a lot more money to spend on other perfect items when they happen to appear. 

Of course, our ‘dustbin happy’ approach to our clothing is more than just a time issue...


D&G lace dress
The clothing industry generates around 2 million tones of clothing annually and at the same time we send an astonishing 500,000 tones to landfill every year too! The continued culture of disposability in the fashion industry is incredibly damaging on so many levels, being responsible on some circumstances for inhumane working conditions, animal cruelty and ecological damage to our planet on a huge scale. It’s no secret either...we all know the truth about these discount fashion retailers...yet, every day as I make my way to work, I’m confronted by hundreds of people toting bulging brown paper bags full of clothes they will probably wear once or twice and then throw away! 

While many disposable fashion brands would have you believe their products are affordable and value versions of the major trends, the real irony is that in reality, they are much more expensive! I know dozens of people who may spend between £8 and £15 on a top they may only wear once. With a £15 cost per wear, these products are not cheap, and far worse value than a comparable better quality item that you will value, wear and love more. Buying better quality items not only saves us money in the long run, but also makes us feel better in the short term. 


As I sit in my bedroom (the loveliest room of the flat) repairing some of my favorite garments (the Dolce and Gabbana lace dress is particularly beautiful), I remember how much I enjoy wearing them. As I plan my work ensemble to incorporate my repaired soft wool grey trousers, I feel the same excitement as purchasing a lovely new item. I hope that these stitches that I’ve made make a real difference...

my favorite spot

I never really grew out of Alice in Wonderland...does anyone?

twinkle, twinkle...


No comments:

Post a Comment